Terrain Texture Updates
Last update: 2017.01.05
- Download the XXXXTerrainFS2004.zip file for the scenery that you wish to update and save it in any folder of your choice. Please note that XXXX represents the corresponding scenery. For example, the file containing the replacement terrain textures for KMSP will contain a file labeled KMSPTerrainFS2004.zip.
- The .zip file contains a folder labeled XXXX, where once again XXXX represents the corresponding scenery. Please extract the contents of the .zip file in any folder of your choice maintaining the folder structure of the contents.
- The XXXX folder contains two folders labeled Scenery and Textures.
- The Scenery folder contains one file labeled XXXXGround.bgl. Please move the file to the Scenery folder of the XXXX scenery replacing the old file when prompted.
- The Texture folder contains numerous files, all with a .bmp extension. Please move all the files to the Texture folder of the XXXX scenery replacing all the old files when prompted.
Note: The folder containing the scenery files should be located in the root folder of the flight simulator (the one containing the fs9.exe file.& If the suggested path was used during installation, the scenery files are located in a folder labeled BluePrint Simulations\XXXX, where XXXX is the corresponding scenery. For example, for KMSP, the files are located here: ; ... [FS9 root]\BluePrint Simulations\KMSP.
- Download the corresponding XXXXGroundFSX.bgl (or XXXXGroundFSX_LR.bgl) file and save it in any folder of your choice. XXXX represents the scenery that you wish to update. For example, the replacement terrain textures for the FSX version of KMSP are contained in a file labeled KMSPGroundFSX.bgl (or KMSPGroundFSX_LR.bgl). Please note that this will usually be a very large files as it contains all the necessary textures. In FS2004, the textures were contained in separate files located in the Texture folder of the scenery. Those files are not required in the new terrain texturing format. Please see step 4 below for more details about removing the obsolete files from your computer..
Important note: The files with the suffix _LR in the label contain lower resolution textures for sceneries meant to improve display performance in computers with limited video capabilities. The lower resolution set contained in the file with an _LR suffix is only available when the updated terrain textures have not been included in an update/upgrade. Please choose only one file for each scenery that you wish to update.
- Move the XXXXGroundFSX.bgl file to the scenery folder of the corresponding scenery.
- Delete the original terrain texture file labeled XXXXGround.bgl contained in the Scenery folder of the corresponding scenery. This step is extremely important because if the scenery folder CANNOT contain two terrain texturing files.
- Optionally, you may remove all the terrain-texture files contained in the Texture folder of the corresponding scenery. The files can be easily recognized because they are labeled with a long string of numbers and have the extension .bmp. Please make sure to leave the files with extension .agn intact as those files contain the autogen vegetation surrounding the airport. This step is optional because the texture files are simply ignored by the new terrain texturing file now in FSX format.
Note: The folder containing the scenery files should be located in the root folder of the flight simulator (the one containing the FSX.exe file. If the suggested path was used during installation, the scenery files are located in a folder labeled BluePrint Simulations\XXXX, where XXXX is the corresponding scenery. For example, for KMSP, the files are located here: ... [FSX root]\BluePrint Simulations\KMSP.
||Included in v1.1.1
||Included in v1.1.2
High resolution set:
||Included in v1.4.1 upgrade
||Included in v1.4.2 upgrade
High resolution set:
Note: If you wish to return to the original version of the terrain textures, please run the original installer for the corresponding scenery and select the "Repair" option when prompted. For the FSX version you need to manually remove the new file.